Saturday, October 5, 2013

First P-Day 10/5/13

Mom,

Hope you enjoyed my last email. I'll have another Pday Saturday. I'd better have some letters to reply to. ;) Oh also.. We got our flight itinerary. We leave for the travel office NEXT Monday (like...9 DAYS FROM NOW) at 2:30 AM!!!! what??? So.. I think I'll get to call home then, but if I do, It will probably be 4 or 5 in the morning. Do you guys even want to talk to me that early? haha. it's up to you. haha. Love you mom. Thanks for everything. 

Dear Everyone,

I think the last 3 days have been the longest, but BEST days of my life! Let me share with you the things I've learned.

Lessons for Sister Carter:
Day One:
1. The happiest place on Earth is NOT Disneyland, it's the MTC. But, I'm guessing I'll think that about Ohio too.
2. If someone told me "WELCOME TO THE MTC!" One more time, they might not live through it. ;)
3. The Spirit of the Lord really is present here.
4. It was a big blessing to enter the MTC the same day as my cousin. We ate lunch together right before, and it's been great seeing her here too!
5. Even though "It's a small world after all,"  the MTC is still better than Disneyland. I have the best companion ever. Sister Wagstaff from Nyssa Oregon. She's been in my Bowen Grandparent's church ward her whole life, which  means we've probably met a few times before. I've seen SO many people I've known. Lot of friends from college and Idaho Falls. Who knew? I wondered where all my friends went.. ;)  My companion and I get along really well. We've been able to have unity and the spirit in our teaching already, yet we've been sufficiently humbled in one of our lessons too. We have a lot in common and I have no doubt it was the hand of the Lord that put us together.

Day Two:
1. 4+ hours of personal study  in one day is quite a lot. I think I've been reduced to the attention span of a 4 year old over the summer.
2. "I can do all things through Christ, which stregtheneth me." Phil 4:13. Even overcome my 4 year old attention span. :D And sometimes it seems like the study time isn't nearly long enough.
3. Don't be in a comfortable position when you pray before your personal study.. You may end up only studying the back of your eyelids for a while and "praying" for much longer than you intended. haha. AKA... sleeping. Lesson learned. Maybe that's why kneeling is advised.. haha.
4. "Teach people, not lessons." It's a remarkable thing when you can catch a glimpse of God's love for one of His children as you are teaching them. Even if they're not a "REAL" investigator. It makes all the difference to teach people with the prayer that you can view them as Children of God, and not just investigators. Aren't we all investigators?

Day Three:
1. Down time.. is NO fun when you really want to learn. and dangerous for Elders. I have a picture of the Elders in my district "rowing" up and down the hall in their wheely chairs. Oh boy.. There was a mix up and we were supposed to have teachers and didn't.
2. It's hard to not be competitive when playing volleyball with your district. BUT, it was really fun, and I am overcoming my intensely over-the-top competitive nature. But a little recreation is a good break, so you can start again and give your studies your full attention. 
3. You can get SO much done when you wake up at 6 a.m. Why have I not been doing that? haha.

Day Four:
1. You can't upload pictures if you don't bring your camera cord with you. Sorry... I'll send pictures next week!

It really has been great! I feel so at home and I know I've felt the peace and "at home" feeling I've been lacking for a long time. It's because this is where I'm supposed to be. God has answered my prayers and confirmed to me that 'this is the place.' I have felt the Spirit way more than any other time in my life. I don't think I knew I was capable of having such a direct communication line between me and God. It's incredible. I can't even describe how blessed I feel too. I love it here. I've been blessed with a really easy transition to the mission life. You all are awesome! Thanks for listening. The Church is True! 

Sister Carter


1 comment:

  1. Challis, I am so proud of you and the choice you have made. I know it will be a lot of work but so worth it. I love you and will always pray for you.

    ReplyDelete