Monday, October 21, 2013

October 14th - 21st: OHIO!!

Wow.. So much to say, so little time.
A lot of you have emailed me back, and I so wish I could respond, but don't have the time. Write me! I have more time to send letters than email.
19 Clariedan Dr.
Powell, OH
49065 
or for the next 5 weeks, it will get to me faster at this address:
614 Worthington Forrest Place
Columbus, OH
43229

Well.. Last week was eventful. My last day in the MTC, I ended up in the ER because of asthma. It wasn't too serious, they just wanted me to go there so I could hopefully resolve problems in the MTC. I've been doing GREAT since then. Miracles do happen. Then.. I went back and sang my solo in departing devo, even though the nurse suggested that I didn't. Oops. It went well though, big day. 
So I flew to Ohio. and.. was the only person who lost ALL of their luggage. A few other people lost a bag or two, but all 3 of mine were left in the other airport. haha. Even my carry-on had to be checked because they didn't have room and that was left too. Luckily, I got it all later that night. :)
So.. I was assigned to my first area and companion. We were "doubled in" or in other words "white washed." We opened a new area. AND we're both new. She had only been out 2 transfers and now she's training me and we're both opening a new area? The Lord must have something in mind, because.. that just sounds a little crazy to me. BUT it's awesome! She's a great trainer. My companions name is Sister Allison Hunger from Kaysville Utah. She's really great!
A little about the area: 
I'm in Worthington, just outside of Columbus. It's a pretty small area compared to most. We split a ward with the A.P. Elders (Assistants to President). The weather is kinda crazy here. The day I got here was so perfect. It was about 75 degrees, sunny, very slight breeze. I thought I'd stepped into heaven. Two days later, I was wearing tights, leggings, boots, 2 shirts, sweater, coat, and was still cold. And it was pouring rain! haha. It was very interesting. It's rained and been cold every day since i got here. I think my first day here put a whole new meaning to the phrase "Warm Welcome." haha. Maybe Heavenly Father thought if it wasn't, i wouldn't have gotten off the plane! haha. But I would have. Just kinda funny.
More about the area: 
There are some incredible houses here. It's so cool! Other than that, different things i've noticed: There are squirrels EVERYWHERE! and Black squirrels, didn't know they existed. And lots of raccoons too. We have a pet raccoon that lives in our huge garbage bin outside our apartment. haha. 
About the people in the area:
There's a lot of diversity. We've met a hindu lady, a lot of African American people, a lot of hispanic people (some we couldn't teach because no habla Ingles), some from Iran, etc. I LOVE it! The African Americans we've met are SO kind. As far as the rest of the people a few things I've noticed: There IS an Ohio accent. It's fairly subtle, but it's there. It's like a combination of southern with like a Chicago Illinois accent. Pretty funny, and I already have caught myself talking that way.. ha. Interesting. I think generally too, people are less healthy here. It's harder to find healthy food at even the big grocery stores, there's a lot more smoking, and a lot less teeth brushing. haha. We've  noticed that people seem to go to bed earlier here. It's EXTRA hard to get into houses at any time of day, but especially at 7 or 8 at night. People do NOT like to open their doors. It's kinda funny, we'll know they're home, and can hear them, or see their TV on, but they won't open the door. But.. It is a kinda sketchy area, so I can kinda understand why. There's one place in our area where the Elders said we shouldn't go because it's a little unsafe. Turns out we'd already been there a lot and that's where we had found the most interest in the gospel. haha. But don't worry, we'll be cautious. :)

Also remember that impression we both got that I'd need to help somone with an addiction?? Well.. I found her. She's a convert of about 2 months? She's early 20s. smoked since she was 12. And quit for 3 months, but just started again. She wants to quit, but it's hard. She has an incredible testimony though. She agreed to let me help her overcome it and bring her the ARP book i packed. Pretty neat, right? Any suggestions for her would be great!
There's so much more I want to tell about, but only have a few minutes. We've had some incredible experiences where the Spirit guided us. One time, we didn't have the room number, but knew which apartment, and we were guided by the Spirit and the very first door we knocked on was the right one. We're working really hard right now to find those whom the Lord has prepared. But, the Church really is true. The Holy Ghost guides, if you ask. And Christ's atonement comforts and saves. Hope you're all doing well.
Love you all, 
SIster Carter
This is Allison Hunger - Challis' new companion from Kaysville, Utah

No comments:

Post a Comment