Saturday, October 12, 2013

Ohio Bound - October 12, 2012

 Challis and her cousin Baylee together at the MTC.
 Challis and her companion Kimber Wagstaff both going to Columbus, Ohio together.
 "The District."
 Sister Carter and Sister Wagstaff getting to be hosts for the day. So proud.
 Companions studying together.
 The district's pet snail "Gary."
The district goofing off.

Hello everyone! 

I leave for the travel office at 2:30 am on Monday morning and will be flying to Ohio that day. I'm so excited! 

I have a joke for all of you.

 Who is the best woman banker in the Bible?

Answer: Pharoh's daughter, because she went down to the bank of the Nile and pulled out a little prophet!

hahah. I hope you all enjoyed that.

This week has been full of so many amazing things! How did everyone like conference? It was incredible, right? We also got the privilege to hear a fireside put on my vocal point on Sunday night. It was so inspiring. 

So.. a wise friend (Taylor) once told me to write down everything I learn at the MTC. And.. let's just say that is impossible. But I have been trying to write down everything the Spirit has testified to me and  things that will help me be a better missionary. My journal is half way used up already... Woah. But it's all such good info. I will cherish this journal forever. You know when it's the Spirit talking and not you when you learn from your own words. 

So even though we're missionaries and study and learn basically ALL day, there is time every once in a while to be ourselves and have fun! Sometimes people forget that behind the diligent, dedicated missionary is a 19 yr old girl or boy.  We have scheduled gym time and personal time where I get to play volleyball and do other things. It's a BLAST. Our district has a class pet named Gary. It's a snail we found outside that lives in a water bottle cap. It IS possible to have fun and be yourself as a missionary as long as you do it within the bounds the mission and Lord has set. :)

I also got the incredible experience this week of being a host missionary for the newcomers on Wednesday. It's rare that stateside missionaries speaking English get this opportunity, because we're only here 12 days. But somehow we got lucky. I met some neat sisters and got to help them have a better first day. I loved it! 

I've never been so tired in my whole life. But I don't think it's the schedule. If you read in JSH, Joseph Smith is exhausted after his encounter with the angel. He loses his strength entirely. I think it's just the effect of feeling the Spirit so often. It's amazing. 

Another awesome thing, I auditioned for a solo special musical number!. Apparently, you were supposed to have an entire piece completely performance ready and memorized when you auditioned. I thought you sung and then found a song and accompanist if you passed. Luckily, there was an Elder who was there that was a great accompanist, so we slipped into another room and figured out a song and I still auditioned. The group of Elders before me kinda... nicely were torn apart when the  music lady critiqued them. For example, they couldn't sing unless they got haircuts and she worked on their tone and other things. haha. It's really strict. I was nervous. It felt like State Solo all over again. But I sung "Come Thou Fount." You're not allowed to use music, and I didn't have it memorized, but I had a sincere desire to share the powerful words in that song. So.... my companion sat in the back of the room and mouthed the words to  me... Not one of my proudest moments, but it worked! She loved my voice and I am assigned to sing in the departing devotional on Sunday night for ALL the Elders and Sisters leaving on that day. Do you know how many people that is?!?! me neither.. .but a lot! Probably 500ish? I can do it! :) Pray for me to remember the words, please. I am SO grateful for the chance to share the inspired words written in that song though and to sing again!

I hope you're all doing well! I'd better have some letters waiting for me in Ohio! ;)

Sister Challis Carter
19 Clariedan Dr.
Powell, OH
43065

Love you all! Hope you're doing well. :) 

Sister Carter

P.S. Here are a few pics. The first is my district. Second, my cousin Baylee, who entered the MTC the same day as me, going to Florida, the 3rd is my companion and I. 

2 comments:

  1. Yeah!!!! I got her emails, but I am SOOOOO glad there is a blog too! I will share it with people she knows out here. thank you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep charged up Red. When those pester days come around, just work through them. We're all proud of you and hope you fill each day as full as the next. Yeah, this is a lame comment, but your mom makes me do this. Pappy

    ReplyDelete